In 2021, Goodwill Industries of Northern Illinois served 20,336 people in many different ways, but with the same end goal – helping people create opportunities to enhance their lives.
Goodwill Industries of Northern Illinois established the following goals–
- Increase opportunity and efficiency in all our retail stores and mission service programs
- Live our value of constant learning for all – our participants, our employees, and our community
- Serve all of our communities with mission service programming, and
- Position Goodwill Industries of Northern Illinois as a leader among thrift retail, mission services, and employers
Supported Employment Program
- We helped 753 individuals obtain employment in our communities.
- 100% of participants surveyed were satisfied with our program.
One Stop Operator/Adult/Dislocated Worker Programs
- Goodwill is a proud partner of The Workforce Connection, where we serve individuals in training, education, and employment in Boone, Stephenson, and Winnebago counties.
- We served 6,481 customers at Career Centers in 2021. We increased traffic in Freeport and Belvidere offices from previous year. We saw a 23% increase in Freeport, and a 45% increase in Belvidere.
- Goodwill served 76 work based learning participants in 2021.
- 263 customers started vocational training between 1/1/2021 and 12/31/2021.
- We serve youth ages 16-24 through the Elevate Youth Program.
- We served 368 youth with career services, training, credentials, case management and support.
- Over 54% received an industry-recognized credential and over 62% were employed 6 months after exit.
Supported Work Programs
- This program is located in 9 locations including Freeport, Rockford, Sterling, Ottawa, Huntley, McHenry, Crystal Lake, and Beloit. We serve participants with disabilities and provide a supportive work environment, job coach, and continued training.
- Annual participant survey: 99% are satisfied/very satisfied with the program
- 80% of Supported Work participants maintained their community employment for 120 days or more.
- 47% of our participants transition to community employment within 6 months of their start date in the program.
- Goodwill’s placement program operates in Freeport, Rockford, and Sterling, IL and serves individuals with disabilities and helps them find employment in the community.
- 76% of participants found employment within 6 months of program start date.
Comcast Workforce Grant
- This program provided 24 students with digital literacy skills and programming.
- We assisted 24 students with CNA classes and support services.
- 22/24 students graduated and completed their CNA, passing their state exam.
- The LifeLaunch Program serves individuals ages 18-24 who have been involved with the justice system.
- In 2021, Goodwill served 118 individuals with intensive case management services, work experience, employment readiness development, and support services.
- Of those enrolled, nearly 70% of all enrollees received an Industry recognized certification.
- Program participant’s recidivism rate is 1.6% (compared to state average of 43%).
- The Accelerate program serves youth with legal system involvement to get into Transportation, Distribution, Logistics (TDL) careers
- Started in Q4 2021
- 8 employers and partners on an advisory committee
- The Community Navigation program operates in Winnebago County Jail and served over 50 individuals in 2021 with community re-entry planning, helping individuals plan for safe and effective release.
- Freeport Community Navigator began in 2021 to help individuals with legal system involvement connect to resources.
- The GoodGRADS program successfully moved GED classes to online format to ensure customers could continue education and implemented a program to loan devices to customers who were in need of technology.
- Assisted 121 individuals in obtaining their high school equivalency.
- Provided 435 GED scholarships for individuals to take the GED test in all communities.
Round Up Community College Scholarships
- Goodwill provided scholarships to 23 individuals with disabilities and barriers to attend community college programs at Rock Valley College, Highland Community College, McHenry Community College, Kishwaukee College, Illinois Valley Community College, Blackhawk Technical College, and Sauk Valley College.
Community Partnerships and Vouchers
- Goodwill provided vouchers for clothing, home goods, and coats for 177 individuals and families.
- We worked with the Illinois Department of Corrections and NiReach to ensure individuals returning to the community have household goods.
- Goodwill partnered with Freeport and Lena area schools to provide over 50 backpacks to elementary students.
Food Pantry Program
- Goodwill’s Food Pantry program provided groceries and food for 3,360 families at the Pantry in the Machesney Park Goodwill Store.
- Our Food Pantry program is a partnership with the Northern Illinois Food Bank and Goodwill to provide services.
- Goodwill’s GoodTAXES program completed 1,816 tax returns for individuals and families in 2021.
- We saved community members $454,000 in tax filing fees.
- In 2021, Goodwill diverted over 19 million pounds from our local landfills by recycling cardboard, shoes, clothing, and metals, and computers.
- In 2021, Goodwill retail locations had over 1 million customers at our 11 store locations. Goodwill has 11 retail stores and two attended donation centers.